First 5 minutes with my kids this afternoon: “Diva, would you want someone to grab your head repeatedly? No? Then stop. Little Prince, you’re not allowed to hit you sister.”
From tonight’s You Can’t Make This Stuff Up parenting corner:
(yelling erupts from across the house)
Adolescent Diva: “The Little Prince peed on the floor!”
Prince: “No I didn’t! I spitted!”
I walk to the kids’ bathroom, where the little prince is sitting on the toilet (he really should get more privacy) and the diva is standing in the doorway like a beat cop ready to give report. She points emphatically at a single square of toilet paper lying on the floor beside the toilet, with a clear wet spot spreading in the middle.
“Walk in that direction!” I order my adolescent, as I point my finger behind me towards her bedroom. As she stomps off, I take a step further into the bathroom and stare at the wet tissue square.
“Did you pee on the floor?” I ask my son.
“No,” he replies, still on the toilet.
“Did you spit on the floor?”
“Don’t do that!”
I walk away.
Later, I walk back into the bathroom with my son to give him a bath. The square of toilet paper still sits on the floor, the wet spot has now expanded. My son’s reaction?:
“Ew! That toilet paper is still on the floor!”
Things I learned this week:
– Dieting SUCKS. My minister once said, “Dieting just means you’re hungry.” Yup. But I am NOT buying a new wardrobe just because my booty is now padded with palliative cookies!
– Any conversation with your child that includes them asking, “Can we buy some Vaseline?” is going to be equal parts hilarious and disturbing. Boy, that girl’s convinced she can convince me of anything.
– There may come a day…..when I laugh that my son got threatened with the principal’s office for telling butt jokes in the cafeteria…..but today is not that day….
3) The Little Prince.
– My school-aged son.
– Total momma’s boy (and I love it).
– Amazing memory. Musical talent. Can build any LEGO set we put in front of him. Thinks he’s Batman.
– Loves reading about Egypt, tornadoes, predators, David & Goliath, Captain Underpants…..(Who is this kid?)
– You know the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes? Yeah….God used Calvin’s blueprints in forming this little guy…..
– Has a talent for wrapping older females around his little finger. Heaven help us when he figures out how to do it with girls his own age!
– Finds his imaginary world much more interesting than real life.